Securing a birth certificate for your Filipino baby is extremely important, every individual has to have a name and nationality. It’s a legal acknowledgment, a right to identity. The importance of obtaining a birth certificate can open up a world of health care, can provide protection, access to education, can help provide inheritance, and permanent record of existence.

In this article, we will discuss how to get birth certificate for a new born regardless of the environment or locality, whether be it at Philippine hospital, abroad, or at home.

  1. Babies born in the Hospital or Maternity Clinic.

    • Decide or pick a name for the child.Preferably, write down the name of the child in a piece of paper, to avoid incorrectly spelled by the person in-charge in the filling out the Certificate of Live Birth (COLB) form.
    • Prepare the necessary documents in advance. After giving birth, normally, the parents will be asked to fill out the Certificate of Live Birth COLB form and present the requirements or documents to manifest the parental authority over the child.
      • For married, (1) Certified True Copy of Marriage contract, (2) Photocopy of any government issued IDs, (3) SSS, Philhealth and other health insurance.
      • For unmarried, (1) Photocopy of any government issued IDs, (2) SSS, Philhealth and other health insurance, (3) Affidavit of Admission of Paternity signed by the father, (4) Private handwritten Instrument signed by the father that states he acknowledge and perceives the paternity of the child amid his lifetime, (5) Affidavit to use the Surname of the Father, signed by the father.
    • Fill out the Certificate of Live Birth (COLB) form. The hospital will initially filled out the form with date and hour of birth, name of the medical attendant and specialist, weight and sex of the infant, and so on. In this form, you will provide details as to the complete name of the baby, complete names of the parents (marriage certificate/ individual Certificate of Live Birth), parents religion, occupations, citizenship, date and place of marriage (married couples). Inability to send the COLB to the local civil registrar inside 30 days after birth results in late registration.
    • Get a personal copy of your child’s Certificate of Live Birth (COLB). The hospital will inform the parents the availability of their personal copy of the child’s Certificate of Live Birth.
    • Secure a copy of your child’s PSA Birth Certificate. The difference between Certificate of Live Birth (COLB) and PSA Birth Certificate, while the Certificate of Live Birth demonstrates that you are restoratively alive, the Birth Certificate is the official record proclaiming your place of birth. After two to four months you would now be able to ask for a copy of a PSA-verified birth certificate on SECPA (security paper).

  2. Newborn babies born at home.

    On the off chance that the infant was conceived at home with the assistance of a birthing specialist or manghihilot, an alternate arrangement of procedure and necessities will be pursued. Since the mother didn’t conceive the child in the medical clinic, the duty of registering the birth of the baby presently goes to the mother or the maternity specialist/manghihilot who assisted with the labor. As indicated by Sec. 2 of the Presidential Decree 651, the mother or the maternity specialist/manghihilot must register the baby’s birth with the local civil registrar within 30 days from the date of delivery from the date of birth. Inability to do as such will result in late registration of birth. The parent/s will be required to write down the necessary information in the Certificate of Live Birth (COLB) Form and secure a duplicate of it from the local civil registrar.

    Before the issuance of the Birth Certificate, the parent/s should provide first the requirement:

    • Certification from the Barangay captain, approving the certainties and conditions encompassing the infant’s birth.

  3. Signature of the birthing specialist or manghihilot in COLB. Newborn Babies born Abroad.

  4. Children that conceived in foreign countries can also acquire a Philippine equivalent of their foreign birth certificates, gave that no less than one or both their folks are Filipino citizen.

    To acquire the Report of Birth (ROB), it is significant for the Filipino parent/s to report the birth of their child to the Philippine Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction over the place of birth. Preferably, announcing must occur inside 1 year from the date of birth. Inability to do as such outcomes in late enlistment of birth which requires extra documentary requirement.

    Present the following major requirements, when reporting your child’s birth to the Consulate.

    • Appropriately accomplished Report of Birth Form executed and marked by either of the Filipino parents or the going to nurse or specialist.
    • Submit four copies– one for each parent, one for the Consulate, and another duplicate for the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila.
    • The applicant foreign birth certificate (original and photocopies) bearing both of the parents’ names and verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the nation where the child was conceived. Whenever written in an unknown dialect other than English, a legally approved and verified English interpretation made by an affirmed interpreter must be given along the first birth authentication.
    • Photocopy of the Philippine passport of the parents.
    • Marriage contract for the married couples.
    • For late registration, original and photocopies of Affidavit of Delayed Registration of Birth, legally approved and executed by the parents who should express the reason/s for the late registration
    • For the unmarried couples but rather consent to have the child’s use of the father’s surname: Signed original and photocopies of the Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (executed by the mother) and Affidavit of Admission of Paternity (executed by the dad). Inability to document the previously mentioned affirmations will result in the kid consequently bearing the mother’s surname.

    In spite of the fact that you ought to expect to see the required documents above of various Philippine Embassies, there are situations when the Consulate will demand for extra or supporting reports.